Foreign StudentsWe offer a Master in Computer Science program with a specialization in algorithms.
- Algorithms and Data Structures,
- Algorithms and Probability
- Complexity and Computability
On the MS program, the following list of elective courses highlight different aspects of algorithms, listing the courses very roughly from the more theoretical (proof-oriented) to the more applied (implementation-oriented):
- Cryptology (Joan Boyar)
- Combinatorial Optimization (Jørgen Bang-Jensen)
- Online Algorithms (Joan Boyar)
- String Algorithms (Rolf Fagerberg)
- Advanced Data Structures (Kim S. Larsen)
- Approximation Algorithms (Lene Favrholdt) [or Heuristics and Approximation Algorithms]
- Computational Geometry (Kim S. Larsen)
- Network Programming (Jørgen Bang-Jensen)
- Algorithms in Cheminformatics (Daniel Merkle)
- Parallel Computing (Daniel Merkle)
VisuAlgo visualizes many of the structures we work with in the area of algorithms.
Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson, Ronald L. Rivest, Clifford Stein.
Introduction to Algorithms, 3rd ed.
The MIT Press, 2009.
You can of course also talk to faculty members and Ph.D. students, working on topics you are particularly interested in.
You can also attend colloquia and research seminars. It varies a lot over the year how many are scheduled, and you should be warned that most of these are talks from researcher to researchers, so they are hard to follow, but it is fine to try to show up. They usually last 45-60 minutes.
A few surveys have been written by group members, giving overviews of a particular area. You should be warned that this is not popular science communication, but research communicated to other researchers, so it can be difficult to read.
- Online Algorithms with Advice: A Survey.
- Joan Boyar, Lene M. Favrholdt, Christian Kudahl, Kim S. Larsen, and Jesper W. Mikkelsen.
ACM Computing Surveys, 50(2):1-34, 2017. Article No. 19
- Relative Worst-Order Analysis: A Survey.
- Joan Boyar, Lene M. Favrholdt, Kim S. Larsen.
In Adventures Between Lower Bounds and Higher Altitudes - Essays Dedicated to Juraj Hromkovič on the Occasion of His 60th Birthday, volume 11011 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 216-230. Springer, 2018.
You can also consider this list of fairly recent MS dissertation titles (and advisors), which displays quite a variety in topics, as well as in direction with regards to theory or practice. The list is sorted on (expected) defense date.
- Container Orchestration Optimization Modeled by Online Bin Packing (Joan Boyar)
- Ferry Route Optimization (Marco Chiarandini, Kim Skak Larsen, Mads Bruun Larsen, Marie Lützen)
- Generation of Safe and Efficient Aircraft Departure Procedures (Marco Chiarandini, Kim Skak Larsen, Anders Knudsen)
- Graph Theory and FPT (Anders Yeo, Jørgen Bang-Jensen)
- Machine Learning for Graph Grammar Rule Prediction (Daniel Merkle, Arthur Zimek)
- Network Optimization with Practical Applications (Jørgen Bang-Jensen)
- Provably and Experimentally Efficient Multi-Way Trees with Relaxed Balance (Kim Skak Larsen)
- Table Reservations in Restaurants and Related Problems (Kim Skak Larsen, Marco Chiarandini, Arthur Zimek, Morten Frank)
- Container Orchestration Optimization Modeled by Online Bin Packing
- Analytic Combinatorics and Boltzmann Sampling in Chemistry (Daniel Merkle, Markus Nebel)
- Connectivity in Graphs with Relation to the European Electrical Grid (Anders Yeo, Marco Chiarandini)
- Decomposition and Evaluation of Graph Transformation Rules - Exploring and Evaluating Reaction Mechanisms (Daniel Merkle, Jakob Lykke Andersen)
- Definition and Evaluation of Pressure in the Sport Soccer (Rolf Fagerberg, Mikkel Keldmann)
- Gillespie-Simulations for Graph-Grammar Models (Daniel Merkle, Jakob Lykke Andersen)
- Graph Canonicalization and Algorithmic Engineering (Daniel Merkle, Jakob Lykke Andersen)
- Optimization of the Total Fuel Price by Combinations of Flight Legs Performed by the Same Airplane (Jørgen Bang-Jensen)
- Theoretical and Experimental Analysis of Involved Paging Algorithms (Kim Skak Larsen)
- Analytic Combinatorics and Boltzmann Sampling in Chemistry
- Algorithmic Synthesis Planning (Daniel Merkle)
- Computational Synthesis Planning Using Big Data (Daniel Merkle)
- Generic Approaches for Group Contribution Methods (Daniel Merkle, Marc Hellmuth)
- Graph Transformation, Atom Tracing, and Isotope Labelling (Daniel Merkle)
- Online Problems with Orthogonal Resource Constraints (Kim Skak Larsen)
- Algorithmic Synthesis Planning
- Artificial Intelligence in Action Real-Time Strategy Games (Rolf Fagerberg, Marco Chiarandini)
- Contributions to Flight Route Optimization (Marco Chiarandini, Kim Skak Larsen)
- Designing Data Structures with Relaxed Balance (Kim Skak Larsen)
- Dynamic Simulation on Hypergraphs (Daniel Merkle)
- Fixed Parameter Tractable Problems for Digraphs (Jørgen Bang-Jensen)
- Graph Interdiction Problems (Jørgen Bang-Jensen)
- Network Interdiction (Jørgen Bang-Jensen)
- Query Complexity for Variations of Geometric Problems (Kim Skak Larsen)
- Symbolic Methods for Counting Molecules (Daniel Merkle)
- The Entropy Compression Method (Jørgen Bang-Jensen)
- Artificial Intelligence in Action Real-Time Strategy Games
- A Permutation Group Approach to Creation of Self-Assembling Polyhedra from Single-Chain Polypeptides (Daniel Merkle, Wojciech Szymanski)
- Carbon Tracing in Chemical Reaction Networks (Daniel Merkle)
- Query Competitiveness for Problems with Uncertainty (Kim Skak Larsen)
- A Permutation Group Approach to Creation of Self-Assembling Polyhedra from Single-Chain Polypeptides
- Computational Complexity and Cheminformatics (Daniel Merkle, Rolf Fagerberg)
- DNA-Templated Computing (Kim Skak Larsen, Daniel Merkle)
- Lattice-Based Cryptography (Joan Boyar)
- Online Problems with Buffering (Kim Skak Larsen)
- Parallelization of Search Tree Based Algorithms (Daniel Merkle)
- Threshold Implementations of Small S-Boxes (Joan Boyar)
- Vertex Labellings with Unique Labels and Their Use in Graph Algorithms (Jørgen Bang-Jensen)
- Computational Complexity and Cheminformatics
- A Computational and Mathematical Approach to Synthesis Planning (Daniel Merkle)
- European Football Placement Problems - Complexities and Exact Solutions (Kim Skak Larsen)
- Graph Rewriting for DNA Computing (Daniel Merkle)
- Real-Time Fluid Simulation and Rendering in Games (Rolf Fagerberg)
- A Computational and Mathematical Approach to Synthesis Planning