DM551 Algorithms and Probability (10 ECTS)
You can see the schedule on the faculty page here
- Main text: K. Rosen, Discrete Mathematics and its applications 7th edition 2013
- J. Kleinberg and E. Tardos, Algorithm Design, most of Chapter 13 on randomized algorithms.
- Chapter 5 in Cormen, leiserson, Rivest and Stein 3rd ed. (DM507 book).
- Chapter 32 in Cormen, leiserson, Rivest and Stein 3rd ed. (DM507 book).
- Chapter 7 (sections 7.1-7.4) of the book Probability and Computing, by Mitzenmacher and Upfal, Cambridge UP
- Sections 1.1-1.2 of Michael Sipser, Introduction to the theory of computation 3rd e. (Gengage Learning). This is the book that will be used in the obligatory spring course DM553 Complexity and computability.
- Various notes which be put on the home page in due time
This consists of 3 parts:
Exam questions and info
- One problem set which must be solved individually
- One problem set which may be solved in groups of up to 3
- Together with selected topics from the course, these problem sets form the basis for an oral exam January 22 to 24, 2018. The final grade, according to the 7-point grading scale, external examiner, will be based on an overall impression of the student's performance in the three elements which are part of the evaluation.
The external examinator will be able to see the solutions of the two problem sets.
Exam assignments DM551
Weekly Notes in PDF format
Smartboard slides and other slides from lectures
- September 4
- September 6
- September 11
- September 15
- September 18
- September 22
- September 25
- September 29
- October 2
- October 9
- November 3
- November 6 part 1
- November 6 part 2
- November 8
- Exercises November 10
- November 13
- November 20
- November 20 second set of slides
- November 22
- November 27
- December 4 part 1
- December 4 part 2
Previous Exam problems in DM528 and DM538
Last modified: Fri Sep 15 10:30:41 CEST 2017