DM551/MM851 Algorithms and Probability (10 ECTS)
You can see the schedule on the faculty page here
Litterature (will be updated along the way)
- Main text: K. Rosen, Discrete Mathematics and its applications 8th edition 2019
- J. Kleinberg and E. Tardos, Algorithm Design, most of Chapter 13 on randomized algorithms.
- Chapter 5 in Cormen, leiserson, Rivest and Stein 3rd ed. (DM507 book).
- Chapter 26.1-26.3 in Cormen, leiserson, Rivest and Stein 3rd ed. (DM507 book).
- Chapter 32 in Cormen, leiserson, Rivest and Stein 3rd ed. (DM507 book).
- Only for MM851 students: Chapter 7 (sections 7.1-7.4) of the book Probability and Computing, by Mitzenmacher and Upfal, Cambridge UP
- Various notes which be put on the home page and/or Blackboard in due time
Prerequisite test in DM551/MM851
Note that everyone who intends to attend the oral exam in January must answer this 'test' before December 10 at noon.
EXAM in DM551/MM851
This consists of 3 parts:
- One problem set which must be solved individually
- One problem set which may be solved in groups of up to 3
- Together with selected topics from the course, these problem sets form the basis for an oral exam in January. The final grade, according to the 7-point grading scale, external examiner, will be based on an overall impression of the student's performance in the three elements which are part of the evaluation.
The external examinator will be able to see the solutions of the two problem sets.
Exam questions and info (last update December 11,2019)
Exam assignments DM551/MM851
Will appear here
In order to filter out 'ghost students' who are signed up for the course and the exam but neither show up nor hand in
any of the Exam
assignments, there will be one obligatory hand in (danish: forudsætningsprøve) to hand in
around December 1st (date will be precised a bit later). This will be extremely simple, probably just writing your name
and confirming that you plan to attend the exam.
Weekly Notes in PDF format
Special for MM851 students that have taken the course MM541
Previous Exam problems in DM528 and DM538
Last modified: Fri Sep 15 10:30:41 CEST 2017